The Killing Moon

Starting January 2006, filmmaker Sridhar Reddy accounts the process, thoughts, and musings during the creation of his second feature film, THE KILLING MOON.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

So Here it Begins

January is upon us, let the year begin!

The thought of starting blog seemed twofold: a) I wanted to share the experience of making feature films with the public, to both share my experiences and also gain the experience of those around me. This isn't so much one man's thoughts but hopefully it will be a place of exchange and cross-pollination.

b) Cinema is a medium that is not singular in nature- besides being a collaborative medium, it is the intersection of the humanities. Where else would you find the worlds of music, photography, literature, architecture, performance, politics, economics, sculpture, and just about any other field collide? It's just about the most perfect launchpad for any discussion of any permutation.

So without further hesitation, welcome!

A primer: THE KILLING MOON is a feature film that my producer and I have been working on for the past three years. I have written the script and will direct, while Anthony Samu will produce. The film is a martial arts genre film that will be shot entirely on location in India, and it highlights the Indian martial arts system known as "kalaripayattu." Set in 1850 Colonial India in Kerala, the story follows two trajectories- the first is a small insurgency of martial artists who declared war on the British Crown, assaulting them with assassinations and guerilla tactics. The second trajectory is that of the British Military, who waged a 30+ year was against the insurgents, determined to rid their adopted home of terror.

This will be my second film. In 2004 I wrote, produced, and directed my debut feature film entitled 19 REVOLUTIONS, a 93-minute film that has been on the international film festival circuit for the past two years. I am currently shopping for a distributor both in India and the United States.

Parts of this blog will be dedicated to the my efforts to distribute the film. It's important for me to spread the experience of this daunting task, and even with the handful of offers I have recieved to distribute the film, I am toying with the idea of self-distribution. It's all about vertical integration!

I hope those who read this will gain an insight to the business of filmmaking, as there are countless journals dedicated to the creative aspects of filmmaking. That's not to say these won't be discussed, but filmmaking is as much a business as it is an art. Making THE KILLING MOON is an ultimate declaration of our art, but in order to make it we must exercise every bit of business savvy that we have. We are determined, and by the end of this blog you will see our ideas and passions come to fruition.

Let the games begin!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home